PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - It's a Small World
View Single Post
Old 24th Oct 2008, 13:35
Cubanate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While on exchange with USAF some years back, attended the RAF Week at the USAF ACSC at Maxwell AFB, AL and was hosted by a USAF major. Making small talk at start of evening, was asked if I'd been to the States before. Said I had, blah blah, DC, Illinois etc. Turned out major was from Illinois, so I asked if he knew Knox College in Gaylesburg. He did. My uncle was Prof of Math (!) there I said. He looked at my name badge and told me to wait there. He soon came back with a lady and introduced his wife. Turned out my uncle taught said lady and she knew him well. Unfortunately I hardly knew him as he left UK when I was 5 and died in '79 when I was 18. I learned a lot from her that night about my uncle, happily before a certain flt lt came in with a 'grocery cart' full of G&Ts to celebrate his promotion.

A couple of years later, bought a farmhouse near to a cow shed being renovated by an industrious bloke. Next time he turned up for work, I went to introduce myself as the new neighbour. Mutual pointing - turns out he was on my entry at OCTU!