PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair - 6
Thread: Ryanair - 6
View Single Post
Old 24th Oct 2008, 12:05
dicksorchard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Valencia 0 ryanair 1

Everyone is having a go at Ryanair over this issue but i personally feel that they are fully entitled to leave Valencia behind as a hub - how can one be expected to progress if the local government officials do not support an Airline which would not only work to promote the city of Valencia but give local business's & local people much improved work prospects .

You only have to look at the transformation at Gerona Airport and within the Costa Brava tourist industry to see the huge benefits of having a budget airline use your airport as a major hub .

The first year the Ryanair flights where available into Gerona we found the coast very quiet with 1 or 2 hotels open in the likes of Calella , Lloret de Mar , Roses etc and the airport was tiny .

Now these towns are booming - tourism which was once dead in the winter is now alive & well and the Catalan government offices have worked tirelessly with Ryanair to promote this . Hotels that once closed in October are now open all year round therefore local bars & shops now stay open . Dont forget local bus services & taxi companys who also benefit from the increase in tourism - plus of course the tobacconists !!!

The airport is expanding all the time , building work & improvements ongoing - bigger & better facilitys .

All of this can only be good news for Gerona and its occupants .

So thats why i find it incredible that the people of Valencia could be so very let down by their own local government office's .

I think it is a sad day for a Valencia and for all the other citys that where linked to it via Ryanair routes - I for one flew to Malta via Valencia in Febuary and had an amazing time and had a very interesting conversation with a few locals on the flight .
They where so enthusiastic about being able to travel all over Europe for very reasonable fares & at not being held to ransom by national airlines ( iberia etc ) & international ( Ba etc ) anymore .

I think its a total cockcup and Ryanair have every right to be miffed off by other Airlines getting huge grants to promote their services whilst their investment is ignored and i hope the people responsible get kicked out of office .

I do however hope that matters can be resolved because i think Valencia & its people have so much more to offer traveller's like myself