PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter down in Saba/St. Maarten, any more info?
Old 24th Oct 2008, 09:51
Furia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WestIndian.
I sincerely share your feelings about the crew and I understand the pressures they were exposed to.

What happened cannot be changed but if we do not critizice from the operational point of view such flights, they are bound to be repeaded.

I do not know the economic sittuation of your island and the medical facilities but once thing I am sure is that it should not be up to private citizens to overcome the local goverment lack of investment on a proper Emergency system.
If you do not have the same Emergency programs than in Norway you cannot expect to have the same service, that is HEMS medical evacuation by night.

This is the same like operating a guy with an axe because you do not have a surgery room avalaible. Sometimes you simply cannot do what your heart ask you to do.
Anyway I read something on the links above that disturbed me a bit.
I may understand the "emergency" sittuation but what was that about making a second flight to bring the family along?

Sounded to me that the idea of making such flight at night over the sea with the Robin was considered more a "normal operation" rather than the "extreme emergency" sittuation we are talking about.
You mention that such flight were a normal occurence and this is the wrong thing.
Another thing that puzzles me is the fact that such medical critical evacuations were routinely done in a R-44. How do you carry the patient there? seated?. Do they carry a doctor along?
It is sad some people had died to bring facts to the table. Such flights should NEVER be performed with such aircraft and operational conditions.

You do not need a multimillion brand new S-92 for this. Tell the local goverment to get a second hand A-109 earlier model IFR with autopilot to do such flight. You can find them on the market for a good price.

As I said I share with you my sincere condolences for the crew and my recognicement that they died while trying to help others.
Nothing more noble and gallant can be expected from a pilot.

However as professional pilot I feel compelled to speak up against this type of operations and its consolidation as a "normal practice".
Lets all helps this does not happen again and another Mike had to place his life on the line of duty just because the local goverments does not want to have a budget to have an appropiate MEDEVAC system and rely in some private citizen to do its job.