PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Carrying sick people
View Single Post
Old 24th Oct 2008, 09:21
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When people say they won't sue you legally, that's fine, but remember that it's the deceased's estate that sues...and that doesn't begin to exist until they're dead. Even the deceased can sign a waiver saying he won't sue...but that's no longer valid after he's gone, and he can't sign away the rights of the estate because it doesn't exist yet...so the signature does very little good if he dies or becomes incapacitated or injured as a result of the trip.
Guppy at what point do an airline require a Doctors letter as fit to travel? i know many turn passengers away not only for the reasons you put above but also for the huge costs and inconvenience a diversion might cause.

Who makes the descision whether to allow a borderline case passenger to board and with what guidelines?

I must admit when I was asked to do the trip I had massive reservations. The request was made through a friend and that also puts on pressure.
The guy died and that was a relief as it let me off the hook having agreed to do the trip.

I take the other points made in the thread of it being difficult if not dangerous being distracted from piloting duties by an emergency in the aircraft.

In my PPL days I can remember 3 occasions of being asked to take people up for a flight to cheer them up. One was dying with Cancer, the other had had a major operation and wore a bag (not a pleasant experience in an unpressurised plane for him or or the other on the aircraft) The third was paralysed in an accident and suffering with depression. The third brought about loading problems and fears of getting him out quickly if need be.

The above three are examples of what PPLs may be faced with and would be classified as pleasure flights rather than transport flights.

Pace