PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Steve Ford
Thread: Steve Ford
View Single Post
Old 24th Oct 2008, 07:17
aytoo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steve and I flew together, along with Dave 'Flying Brain' Critchlow on the 1994 Helimeet. We had a lucky few days, and badically won it. My two abiding memories of the event are first, the two of us dancing on the tables to the AAC quick march after dinner in the Winchester Guildhall; but better yet, the moment he fell out of the Gazelle...

He was sitting on the rear cabin floor, feet on the skids, dispatch harness on, as we awaited the start of the slaolm event. Steve had mis-read the rules, and suddenly realised that the clock was running against us. Screaming at me to get airborne, I pulled pitch with rather more enthusiasm than finesse, and glancing over my left shoulder realised that Steve was gone. He had fallen out against a little too much slack in the harness, and was now cuddling the left skid with arms and legs - precluding me from landing.

'Basher' and a well-known cornishman were the judges, and were helpless on the floor with laughter. A treasured moment. I shall try to join the bikers cortege if humanly possible.