PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Big economic problems in aviation
View Single Post
Old 24th Oct 2008, 03:46
Captain Sand Dune

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dick,

Some good points there. Unfortunately aviation in Australia appears to be one of the last of the “cargo cults”.
Don’t quite agree with lifting the limit for no supplemental oxygen to above 10,000FT AMSL though. Firstly, given the terrain (or lack of it!) in Australia I don’t think there’s a real need. Secondly, given the size of the country and therefore potentially longer flight times, the prolonged exposure to the reduced oxygen levels above 10,000FT AMSL could contribute to increased incidents of hypoxia. Have read some interesting accident reports concerning crashes in the US where this point was put forward as a contributing factor.

And then we have DBTW.
Yes, we do have restricted airspace in Australia for the exclusive use of military aircraft. How about telling the full story mate. The vast majority (in fact I reckon it’s “all”!) of these restricted areas are de-activated when they’re not needed. There’s a very good reason some military flying activity is segregated from civilian flying activity. If you’ve seen what goes on in some of them you wouldn’t want to be anywhere near it!
I am sure that if you had your way and all these areas were removed, you would be the first to squeal when you spotted (assuming you’re one of those that actually looks out!) a 4-ship of F-18’s whistling past your wingtips.
Oh BTW, the US has plenty of restricted areas, and a whole bunch of prohibited ones as well.