PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Big economic problems in aviation
View Single Post
Old 24th Oct 2008, 02:30
Howard Hughes
Sprucegoose

Location: Hughes Point, where life is great! Was also resident on page 13, but now I'm lost in Cyberspace....
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's good to have a thread where I can agree with you Dick!

1. Agree, RFFS should be tendered.
2. Agree, there should definitely be competition for ATC services.
3. AGREE, what an absolute waste of time and money this has been. I wouldn't mind if an ASIC card carried some clout ie: No requirement for screening at airports!
4. Agree, Please get rid of the military controllers, they have no idea of the limitations involved with civilian aircraft, descending from 9000 feet at 5 miles, ain't good for the passengers! Also you don't need to leave us at the holding point for another civilian aircraft which hasn't even crossed the FAF on the ILS!

The one area where we can still disagree is adopting procedures 'just because it's done that way in the USA'! You say yourself in the second sentence, we should be looking for the 'World's best practice', then why not search the whole World rather than just the US, as we have been witnessing the last few weeks, the US's way of doing things isn't always the best!

Cheers, HH.

PS: I was under the impression the higher limit for using oxygen in the US, was to do with getting unpressurised normally aspirated aircraft over the Rockies. What is the limit in Europe/Asia? Does the saving outweigh any decrease in safety? As I recall from my time in the States, isn't there a recommended limit on time spent at that altitude?