PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jobs in NZ
Thread: Jobs in NZ
View Single Post
Old 23rd Oct 2008, 20:25
HardCorePawn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You go to a testing centre... sign in (proof of id etc.)... the test supervisor calls up some automated system via telephone and then hands you the receiver...

You only get one shot at it and you either get rated as Level 6 which is valid for life, or you get 'no result'... which means you failed. If you failed, you then have to pay like $250 for a 'formal language evaluation' (face to face exam)... you will then get Level 6, level 5 (valid for 6 years), level 4 (valid for 3 years) or failed...

check out the info here:

https://www.asltasman.com/tol/manage...t.aspx?docID=2

I guess being born and growing up in New Zealand, completing High School and then graduating from University (a 'real' one even, not one of those dodgy 'institutes' ) with a Bachelors Degree is not enough to prove that you 'spek da gud england'...

Had an interesting 'discussion' on this with my flight examiner when I did my PPL earlier this year... he is a Captain with AirNZ... and apparently he had to get one for international ops! wtf?!!?!?

Also, last time I looked at the regs, if you already had a license prior to March 5th... they just 'assumed' your language was OK... however, if you wanted to upgrade to a higher license (PPL -> CPL, or CPL -> ATPL), then you need to do the test...

Also, you *MIGHT* not be allowed to fly overseas without the appropriate endorsement on your license.