PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Diego Garcia Judgement Day
View Single Post
Old 23rd Oct 2008, 19:09
CirrusF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roland you miss my point. Putting in place a system that punishes war crimes commited in the near past will prevent them recurring. We can't revisit every conflict in human history, but we can still revisit those injustices where the direct first-generation victims are still alive today - eg from WW2 onwards. This would include the Chagos Islanders, amongst many others.

I disagree with claims by second-generation descendants of victims (eg the jewish compensation industry in USA against anybody they can possibly sue). We have to start somewhere in history, so let's make it now. and start properly compensating living victims of war crimes.

Incidentally, I link into that, the UK victims of our current stupid and unnecessary wars. I think that it is very interesting to see the growing power and influence of UK coroners over the democratic process. Once families of servicemen are properly compensated for following orders to execute unjust wars, then it will discourage governments from usurping the legal and democratic process to enter war, which was what happened in the lead up to Telic.