PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Banner Towing by Helicopter
View Single Post
Old 23rd Oct 2008, 14:55
HOVERJOCKI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was the pilot in that Long beach incident and that style of banner is a crazy one to do.
It all seemed good at the time until like anything that goes wrong it sucks.
If i knew then what i know now i wouldn't have flown that style of banner, due to the lack of information about the whole system and the possibilities of what he banner can do if it fouls up.
The other longline version looks the better one to use if you really have to tow a banner as it is just a verticle line with the banner directly under the aircraft and a massive weight keeping it down.
Hasn't stopped me from slinging as we have fire seasons over here which can bring in the big bucks.
With the HV curve flying it is down to the pilots mind set at the time. Slinging is an HV job, you're in it like it or not.
For me personally i love this flying, i have already made my mind up that i will deal with the situation if and when it happens and just the skill level of this type of flying you achieve is a buzz for me.
Call me nuts but for those that do sling jobs whether it be fires, ac units to roofs, trimming trees or bringing supplies to people 9000' on a 150' line to a small clearing and putting the load right on the spot.... that skill level is why we do it.