PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilots over 60 flying together?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Oct 2008, 13:12
A Comfy Chair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do not want to stop pilots over 60 from flying, however, as part of the extention to 65 for RPT flying, certain states imposed a restriction that 2 pilots over the age of 60 couldn't fly together.

I think this is a perfectly reasonable restriction to place; certainly until some more study is done to assess any enhanced risk of inflight incapacitation. It isn't prohibiting anyone from operating, just placing some (most likely temporary) restrictions.

Of note is that the only country that has actually done significant studies on risks associated with older pilots so far was the most notable one opposing the extention.

777Fly, Your airline may need your experience. But wouldn't it be better for the future of aviation if you were passing that knowledge on to someone under 60 sitting next to you? For me, the upside of the rule is that some of us younger pilots get the opportunity to fly with the +60's on their more favoured routes, so they can pass their knowledge onto us, rather than the 65 year old normally sitting next to them