PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Parliamentary Questions concerning Hercules Safety
Old 23rd Oct 2008, 10:50
airsound

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Nige, you’re a bad boy! The Coroner’s Rule 43 recommendations were not intended for publication in that form - they were for your personal use! My account of them was dashed off at the end of a very long and stressful day, and they were not in tidy enough shape for general publication.

However, now that they’re out there, they may as well stay..... But I would ask that PPRuNErs take note of the caveat
Notes taken verbatim - may not be 100%
Indeed, there are a couple of things about them that may need clarifying.

Rule 43 (for those of us non-legal-eagles)
The Coroner explained it thus: (it’s a new (well, amended) rule this summer) ’Where a coroner has evidence that suggests a risk of future death, and believes that action should be taken to prevent a recurrence or to reduce the risk, the coroner may make a report to an appropriate person who may take action. That could include the Lord Chancellor.’ Mr Coroner Masters went on to say he will send his Rule 43 recommendations in a letter to the Minister for the Armed Forces. I gather that won’t happen for a week or so.

Flip - on the question of ‘combat aircraft’, I think you’re right when you say that the coroner probably meant something along the lines of your suggestion.

I have passed on to the coroner’s investigating officer, Jerry Luckett, a reminder that when the RAF uses the phrase ‘combat aircraft’, that specifically excludes transport aircraft and the like. He has promised to clarify that for the coroner.

Incidentally, Jerry is out of a job, as of yesterday, but he leaves with words of high praise from the coroner ringing in his ears. He tells me that he believes the appointment of a Coroner’s Investigator was a first. I suspect it won’t be the last. Jerry is a retired police superintendent, btw.

If anyone needs any clarification of my version of the coroner’s Rule 43 recommendations,let me know.

airsound

PS Lovely pic of Chappie and Wootton Lynestoke Staish in some of the papers today. Stars, both. eg:
Failed by the Forces: Ten heroes killed RAF Hercules could have been saved by fuel 'safety feature', says coroner | Mail Online

Last edited by airsound; 23rd Oct 2008 at 11:08. Reason: added a PS