PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Steve Ford
Thread: Steve Ford
View Single Post
Old 23rd Oct 2008, 09:29
BolkowBill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steve was my first Squadron QHI back in 669 and encouraged me to consider (in the fullness of time) going down the QHI route. Probably as he recognised someone who talked nearly as much as he did.
I remained in sporadic touch with him and he encouraged me to join the HEMS world with Bond when I left the Corps in 06. He was always my go-to guy for any questions, however daft or trivial they seemed and he always, ALWAYS offered his time, expertise and guidance happily and readily. Nothing was ever too much trouble.
Steve was also the key influence in my becoming a TRI/TRE on his beloved Bolkow to work for him in his training team and it was Steve who taught me and a colleague on our course.

All of this made me realise that Steve, more than any other individual, has had a massive influence on my flying career, from my fledgling days to my current happy state.

I feel we've lost someone who gave so much of himself to his work, his colleagues and his friends, be it in the flying or the biking world. He did nothing half-heartedly or thoughtlessly and, possibly due to his expert approach to everything he did, his death has been a massive shock to me and everyone else to whom I've spoken.

"Sadly missed" seem such inadequate words for such a character but if there's anything positive to take from this, it's the fact that he had more of a positive impact on more lives than most of us could hope for in double his years.

Finally (and Steve might have been proud of the length of my submission here!), knowing how much we, his friends and colleagues are going to miss him, gives me a slight hint of the devastation that his family must be feeling. You all have my deepest, most sincere condolences but also, I'm sure, you'll understand our pride that we knew such a man.

RIP