PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Venom crash in Oman 50 years ago
View Single Post
Old 23rd Oct 2008, 06:51
l.garey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headstone

In reply to Farrell, an "early morning run" would certainly NOT be the thing to do. There was a marble plaque on the grave, as can be seen by a broken edge today. I was told there was even a cross on it. It does not surprise me that this was removed at some stage. The British authorities wanted to remove Owen's body to Muscat some time ago, but the local people wanted to keep him. They actually respected him as a fallen soldier. There is no sign of dispect to Owen. On the contrary.
We must let the local people decide on this one, or our interference may have a negative effect. After all, the intention of the RAF's visits to that area in 1958 was to kill local people and destroy their livelihood. So I suggest that the grave and crash site be left alone. A year or so ago a memorial plaque to Owen was put up at the British cemetery in Muscat. We certainly do not need another at the crash site.
Since the new 3 lane road was built to the top of the Saiq plateau a couple of years ago there are many tourists who go there, and there are signs that the wreck of the Venom is being degraded. I am in fact in touch with the local authorities about that.

As to Ali Barber's post, I am very surprised to read about the local people that "many of the homeless tramps in the UK would reject their homes as unsuitable compared to a cardboard box. People in that area still live in slightly glorified caves". That really is not true. When did you last visit, I wonder? The living conditions on the plateau were "primitive" by Western standards 50 years ago, but now, especially since the new road arrived, conditions are very, very different. On my last visit at the end of August 2008 there were new houses springing up all over and even new hotels. In the villages, people live in good conditions, so your descriptions make me think you might not have been there recently. You say there was no electricity or even clocks! Not correct. The people are hard-working, very friendly, and courteous. Your description of their graveyards looking "unnatural" because of plain stones stuck in the ground and the general tone of your post puts the people of the plateau in a negative light, and does not reflect reality.
I note that live you live in Muscat, where things are different again from the conditions on the Jebel, and I imagine that the Saiq villagers would, for the most, prefer their land to that of the coastal towns. Interesting that so many people from Muscat are now building on the beautiful fertile highland for their weekend retreats!

Laurence Garey

Last edited by l.garey; 23rd Oct 2008 at 07:01.