PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: ASA Staff Shortage
View Single Post
Old 23rd Oct 2008, 02:31
max1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UVA,
If somniferous is an ATC I am trying to encourage them to visit the website. I sense a journo digging for a story, and based on their form so far I am reluctant to help The Fourth Estate distort our issues in the public eye.

After TFNs disgusting and unproven allegations in the sanctity of Senates Estimates, the 'offer' is designed to provoke an unprofessional reaction from controllers. TFNs ego knows no bounds, he is trying to engineer a fight to save his own skin after three years of bonus driven, cost cutting that has left an organisation unable to fulfil its core responsibilty, or recover in the short/medium term.

We have been at the blame shifting stage for 12 months, he is trying to goad decent,responsible, professional people who have been trying to alert the Bureaucrats for over five years to the cliff we are approaching,into some silly action to justify his baseless assertions.

Controllers have been doing unreasonable O/T for years. TFN is on record as admitting it. What he is unwilling to do is fix it. He knows it will get a lot worse before it gets better, and is doing his damndest to move responsibilty. From other posters on here he's done it before.

If he really cared about the travelling public, he could go along way to fixing it through a decent gesture in the EBA. His personality types aren't wired that way. Reminds me of someone in a bunker in 1945.

The place is collapsing without ATC needing to resort to some fictitious industrial campaign, the Line Managers know it, the Lvl 3s know it, I suspect the GM ATC knows it. TFN is in denial.

It will take 3-4 years of ATCs still working stupid amounts of O/T to dig the Bureaucrats out of the hole they have dug, but based on what TFN thinks is a fantastic payrise 4%, to be obligated to come in 24/7, and give up sick leave protection is an insult.
97% of controllers use less than the 15 days. So he wants 700 plus controllers to give up this protection so they can take a stick to 20 people who are long term sick. In any large organisation you will find a few rorters amongst the long term sick, we already have the means to deal with these people.

They have also offered 14 weeks maternity leave (we had 12), and one weeks paternity leave, and choice of superannuation. Items the government have just mandated anyway. A quick look at the demographic of controllers (which seems to have escaped ASA for the last 10 years) will show maternity/paternity leave would mean nothing to about 95+% of controllers, and costs ASA nothing as the government would now be throwing about $8000 ASAs way per maternity leave when previously they got nothing.ASA are actually in front. What next free air and tap water?

Last edited by max1; 23rd Oct 2008 at 02:55.