PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Possible Bad news for Sunwing
View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2008, 19:23
Willie Everlearn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
McDoo

I went through the Canadian Bilaterals (google search) and it's quite a list.
If we were to define West Jet under the FARs, they'd be a "Flag" carrier. So, obviously, I was wrong in my understanding having earlier said that WJ was an LCC. But in this day and age, it would appear as far as Canada is concerned, the international agreements allow a Country's government (in this case, Canada) to offer those negotiated routes to those who wish to fly them. The carrier must be a legitimate carrier under the CARs and overseen by TC. I guess WJ must wish to fly Barbados-Canada.

As for the Charter airlines, it is my understanding (and I certainly stand to be corrected on this one as well) that the charter airline receives nothing in terms of a cash payment until the flight leaves the ground enroute to its destination. I can't imagine the cash flow problems that might ensue having to operate like that but apparently, lots do so it's no surprise carrier assets are ceased for late payments. If the creditor senses you're in financial trouble he's going to protect his ASSets.

If this were true in Zoom's case, then having the assets seized by creditors left them in a not-so-nice position as far as collecting some of the fares sold if the flights couldn't depart. Hmmmm..... sticky wicket that.

That puts AT, CJ, Sunwings and any of the other players out there, in the same crosshairs. Since oil prices have dropped (maybe plummeted is a better word) these guys should be fine for now.

Anyone got a crystal ball?