PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sun Article - US Pilot Arrested for being over alcohol limit
Old 22nd Oct 2008, 14:34
Carnage Matey!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pvmw
However, there is no doubt that aclohol impairs ability, and there is a simple test for it.
Oooh now we're getting somewhere. There is a simple test for alcohol. The test you are endorsing is not a test for impaired ability, so why are you endorsing it? Is it because it feels right to you. You see you are taking a moral stance against alcohol in this thread, but what you are advocating as a solution is scientifically indefensible.

Just because there isn’t such a simple test for tiredness does not invalidate the test for alcohol.
You have to validate the test for alcohol before you can invalidate it. It has never been validated. It is simply a comparison against a magic number plucked out of thin air.

This thread isn’t discussing tiredness, which is a red herring, its discussing the possibility of drunk pilots. Just because there is no reliable test for a dangerously impaired pilot due to tiredness doesn’t invalidate the test – or the potential ramifications – of being impaired due to drink.
Once again, you're not testing impairment due to drunkeness or otherwise. All you are testing is the sensitivity of an electronic contraption. Are you starting to see the problem now?

Legally, there is a definition of “drunk” as applies to the operating of aeroplanes. Its quite clear, and everyone knows what it is.
No there isn't, no it's not and no they don't.

Since you ask, as a potential passenger of yours I am concerned about impairement In any form. One well known reason for impairment is alcohol, so if there is a test for it then I am in favour.
I'm glad we agree on that then. If there was a test for impairment I'd be in favour of it too. If there is a test that has people arrested for levels of alcohol that have been achieved due to a dietary regime without the consumption of alcohol with no regard as to impairment then I want to see some justification for it other than "Something must be done, just in case".

A pilot severly impaired by exhaustion will be aware of it, and if he is a responsible person should (and I admit to outside pressures) recognise his inability to fly.
It doesn't work like that. You may not be aware of it at all. It may strike you late at night in the middle of the Atlantic. What do you do then? Get off? Remove yourself from flying duties mid-flight leaving the other (potentially equally tired) pilot to fend for themselves in the subsequent diverson? Or just think " I'll be ok, I'll press on. A couple of cups of coffee will fix me"

One of the features of being inebriated is a an increase in self-confidence and an inability to recognise one's own limitatations. That is an important difference.
Do find that after half a pint of weak beer you feel an increase in self-confidence and an inability to recognise your own limitations? That much alcohol would put you over the flying alcohol limit.