PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Parliamentary Questions concerning Hercules Safety
Old 22nd Oct 2008, 12:44
nigegilb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taken from page 3 of this thread on 16 March 2006;

"Flight International can, meanwhile, reveal that the UK is the only launch nation involved in the Airbus Military A400M programme not to have funded the installation of the safety equipment as part of its production order. “The [A400M] common standard aircraft does not come fitted with a fuel tank inerting system,” says the MoD. “Fuel tank inerting was not selected by the UK prior to, or after, contract signature.”
Airbus Military sources confirm that all other programme launch customers – Belgium, France, Germany, Luxembourg, Spain and Turkey – have selected the equipment for their 155 aircraft. The UK also previously removed defensive countermeasures equipment from all but nine of its 25 A400Ms, reducing procurement costs by around £240 million ($417 million)."

Keep an eye on that figure of NINE gentlemen. Reduced from 25 to 9 for one reason and one reason alone and that is COST.

I am not disputing the fact that 24 A400M now have the plumbing for PROBIGGS, but I am disputing if the plug-in kit is funded and that the DAS procurement figure could well be the same as stated in this "Flight" article.

Chug alludes to the fact that an entire Fleet should never again be sent to war unfit for purpose. Well, I am afraid I and very concerned about Hercules replacement A400M.

Are the MoD really that stupid?