PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unlicensed Grass Airfield
View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2008, 10:06
First_Principal

Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts
Hah, you're all bluddy pussies , where I come from men are men and strips are just that - a strip of something vaguely less inhospitable than the surrounding countryside. I quote from a passage describing how things are done around here:

"The approaches to the bush airstrips varied enormously, their only common denominator being that most of them were one way in and the same way out, with the dead-end being either a wall of trees, a rock bluff, or a gorge too narrow to fit the wings. Cub main wheels span two metres and many strips were only three metres wide with the odd one only wider than the wheels, leaving no margin at all for error. The good grass strip.. was like a narrow tunnel where the giant snowgrass tussocks hard on either side were higher than the wings of a cub, which would bend them over in passing" ..

"Another river-beach strip...which some worthy somehow discovered had only part of its 200 metre length visible from the air. To land on it you came down through the trees to about two metres above the river in order to clear the nest of boulders at the end of the beach. Beyond them there were fifty metres of clear gravel and you would have to pole forward to lose your height then haul back on the stick to hit, as the rest of the stip was actually under the trees overhanging the beach and the river. Getting off again was the same but in reverse, hold her down until clear then haul back on the stick to get over the boulders"

So 18m, let alone a further 30m sounds a positive luxury, you should be able to land almost anything in there , methinks I should re-locate to merry England, obviously you have a surfeit of land available for these things (probably nicely mowed too is it?!).

FP.