PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No pay leave
Thread: No pay leave
View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2008, 03:48
404 Titan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yokebearer
The reality of it as I see it is that CX will do nothing about the BPP situation untill HKG labour law changes. Once that happens the company will be able to ignore the contractual obligation to pay bypass due to the fact that not letting guys stay past 55 will be illegal.
Wrong. Had a conversation with a lawyer buddy of mine in Sydney a few months ago about this very thing. All the possible new age discrimination laws will do is invalidate the compulsory 55 year old retirement age. Bypass pay has nothing to do with the age discrimination laws and as such will still be a valid part of our contract, i.e. as a cockpit crew passes 55 years old and wants to continue to 65 or anywhere in between, it will result in bypass pay being paid for the next crewmember entitled to it on the seniority list. Ask yourself this question. Why is the company so keen to have a retirement age 65 deal done? It isn’t through the goodness of their heart or even because of the expansion. It is because they are desperate not to have to pay the wave of bypass pay that would result in the change of the age discrimination laws.