PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pacific Blue to Bali from December 1
View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2008, 02:33
ad-astra

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Parc-Ratstej - I think we agree on more points than we disagree.

The AFAP has certainly not achieved the success that we as Professional Pilots had hoped and expected.
Looking around though I struggle to see a suitable role model in any of the other Professional Pilot representative groups - AIPA, JPC, TWU (NJS), VIPA or any of the International Pilot bodies. They are all struggling with the new age of LCC's and a whole new set of industrial relations rules that have moved the goal posts forever.

We seem to be in agreement that we will only succeed if we are truly a representative Union/Federation

Alas the current fractionalization of our 'representative might' will have us at the mercy of airline managements for the foreseeable future.

I also am reticent to walk away from the AFAP after 25+ years as my MBF refund will be in the order of $50K -$60K. For those pilots who choose to commit to the MBF it is a very worthy organization one that repays its members for loyalty.

That same refund is and will be available to yourself or any other pilot who remains with the MBF for 20 years continuously (or in total).
Sad thing is that most of the younger guys I fly with cannot comprehend that degree of commitment to the industry let alone the MBF.

The principles of the AFAP (and just as importantly the MBF) were well founded. It is a shame that history has not been learnt that what we have now is worth holding on to, rather than starting afresh.

Perhaps I was a bit touchy on reading your 'appraisal' of our industry -

"Dirty Deeds-I couldn’t agree more, and when the shi! hits the fan and the industry is fu#ked,rest assured"

- and your belief that all before you (myself included) are responsible for the state that the aviation industry is in now.

"You tossers,wake up and look at the big picture-As you have so eloquently expressed youreslves elsewhere-grow some Ball$-Look at the Future-sad thing is-your the ones that fuc##d it"

That we will have to disagree on!

We all work towards the same goal.