PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Four Star Air Cargo
View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2008, 02:27
HVYMETLDRIVERWANNABE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I flirted with them for a little bit. It was tough to say no, but I just couldn't take the job. Basically, they returned my email for a position offering me an interview on a Tuesday for the following Monday and starting training the next day. That was all well and good but money is a little tight for me right now and though I live in Miami, the stuff I can't sell I'd have to move back up north to my parents' in Providence and they offer no relocation assistance...

On the positive side, they recruiter I spoke with was friendly and genuine, I could they wanted to help their employees but the problem is that of most companies in the Caribbean $$$$. No medical, no benefits, and like most companies south of Broward County... no taxes. Pay up front is $50 per "flight credit" which equates to between 1 hour and 1.5 hours of flying depending upon route. She said the pilot who wants to fly as much as possible will pull between 8 to 12 "credits" per week depending up wx, mx, and whatever. The result... your looking at about $2K per month. She also mentioned the oppurtunity to work in the mechanic's shop as an assistant to earn extra, but didn't give a number behind it, I figure working and flying crazy 12 hours days 6 days a week will probably net you maybe $3K? on an awesome month (pre tax of course). I was told upgrade to PIC is about a year to year and a half, (no idea about pay raise).

When it comes to transportation and travel, your pretty much on your own the airport Luis Muniz has no buses to the cargo portion (meaning having to buy a car right away) and she couldn't offer much assistance to a gringo that would stick out like a sore thumb.

Don't get me wrong, despite all that said I'm sure its a great job, its just theres no way I could afford it. Even today a DC-3 type would definitely look great on a resume and would impress any old time chief pilot looking to hire you down the line. Again I'd love to have taken the job there was just no way it was feasable financially for me, especially on such short notice.

When I applied in early October their mins were 1000TT, she said they had over 200 responses which dwindling down pretty quick, last ads I saw were for a week ago wanting at least 300 so they may have filled their positions right now... but sit tight cargo has a high turnover!

Hope it helps!