PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aer Arann
Thread: Aer Arann
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2008, 21:38
bananamanuk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hello corsair, I agree with your comment about Ryanair bidding low on the PSO to make a point about public subsidies being used to fund services. But having said that, there is also the aspect of predatory pricing, I'm not sure what the regulations are in relation to it, but I would have though that if one company was able to charge nothing, run at a loss in order to try and put another company out of business, then that could be deemed as predatory and against the consumer interest.

Would Ryanair really put up the money for a runway extension there given that they operate from Knock, Shannon and Kerry all on the west coast and given that they are basically the primary carrier at Shannon. The only reason I would think FR using Galway like that is if they could screw their management for an even better deal than they get at SNN.

I'd agree that people are tightening their belts and travelling less - but that's going to affect all carriers in all modes of transport as well. RE need to be able to offer the sort of service business people want - quick, reliable and on time. FR do a great job on the on time front, but dont' necessarily take someone to their business destination. RE need to emulate VLM! they've been consistently profitable for years.

Lastly, the ATR is a very good aircraft, but I would agree that some ppl have mixed views of turboprop. I was once in Dublin and got chatting to a guy that compared them to the toy things with a rubber band - seriously - he was trying to suggest props are not as strong or safe as a jet. Anyone with an interest in aviation knows that's untrue. But perceptions count. The fact RE have got in new planes is a good selling point.

A lot of the problem I think is probably marketing - i doubt they have much budget so they can't get into the mainstream. interestingly I thought the other day that their current chairman is leaving/sitting on the board and another guy taking over and he has a management accounting background... if that's the case, then the bottom line and forecasting will be his primary concern.

I go on too much - but - remember before Ryanair became what they are now - they did a massive retrenchment of their services then literally exploded everywhere. Some say shrinking to profitability doesn't work - but right-sizing to the economy and what it will support might. I don't know.

Charter may be desperate in some senses but the wet leasing is better - they do that now. I was in Glasgow Int'l a few weeks ago and they have an ATR72 in there, I thought it was odd or a diversion but found out later it#s on Flybe lease.

Sorry to go on.