PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aer Arann
Thread: Aer Arann
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2008, 18:05
liffy2A

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Viking that is a totally incorrect statement to make, Arann have lots of profitable routes that are not PSO routes. Was the loss of the Dublin- Kerry route a blow 'yes', But they have very strong routes out of Galway Waterford Cork and Dublin that they have no competition on.Also The whole idea of PSO routes is regional development, Nearly every EU goverment has them.It gives people in busniess/leisure great connections to the rural parts of Ireland from Dublin Airport. PSO's are implemented to areas that can not be reached by rail or Road in the 3 hour mark and to develop the area and airport in general.Aer Arann have been awarded the contract for 5 of the 6 PSO's for very good reason they have done that, starting routes to the the UK from Donegal, Sligo, Galway and Kerry. Derry was also developed by Arann serving routes to the Uk, Before Ryanair moved in set up routes in competiton with them, Which I think they have cut this year. Ryanair has been good to Kerry airport developing new routes but a 738 on this PSO route is total over kill. Operating an aircraft that size on a route that short with Paxs figures usually under 70 will not be profitable for them, even with the subsides. Aer Arann is a small fish to Ryanair but a fish that competes with them sucessfully out of areas they can not operate, If Ryanair removed Aer Arann you may carry 600,000 or 800,000 paxs a year between the Irish-UK market through airports you want paxs to travel through. Get control over Aer lingus kill Aer Arann and you have control over 90% of the Irish Market and you can charge what you like. This is what I believe is the big picture. All carriers will be making cuts in one way or another and Aer Arann are no different. It is better to make the hard decisions now to make sure your busniess is leaner to cope with the winter ahead. I sincerely wish the staff effected directly and indirectly the best of luck.

Last edited by liffy2A; 25th Oct 2008 at 03:26.