PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanair accident at Madrid
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2008, 10:58
agusaleale

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
justme wrote
DISCLAIMER: this post is a theoretical rant.
..., the guys hold a degree in engineering, a vaild license for servicing these aircrafts and yet, the judge proves, they did their jobs without regards to the rules and neccesary diligence, resulting in loss of lives.
So no, *IF* they technicians did something wrong, I do not think the judge is acting wrongly. What's more, he is putting on the line just as well the highest ranked person in charge with supervising the maintenance operation for the whole Spanair.

Who else do you want him to charge? ...

Sometimes a mistake is only the responsability of the person making it. I'm sure that there are doctors with the finest education in the finest institutions in the world that, once every 20 years, make a serious mistake that impacts the life of a patience significantly.
And it's nobody else's responsability but their own. And no, it's not always that they are reckless and careless (although that's often the case). They are just human.
But we all must also agree that, sometimes, that is NOT the case and a single or a couple of individuals are the sole responsable for their actions and mistakes.
Sorry justme, but I completely disagree with your opinion.

First of all, you seem to blame exclusively the mechanics. If you take into account that the main problems seems to be the slats/flaps not deployed by the pilots, then this last ones are the first one in being guilty.

Second, I think that the mechanics, even if the have a degree or a license in engineering, were hired and worked for Spanair, so the company is responsible for their actions, under the legal point of view and under the practice, as they should have been supervised by their actions in a better way.

For sure it is very possible that the mechanics did things wrong, I donīt know, and that the pilots did things wrong, just to be proved.

But the company will not be excused, even though you seem to do that in your arguments.

The only way for that would be that the accident were caused by something external, and it doesnīt seem to be this situation.