PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: ASA Staff Shortage
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2008, 10:04
Slugfest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airservices Australia slams 'covert industrial campaign'

The head of Airservices Australia has hit out at what he describes as unofficial work bans by air traffic controllers in Sydney.

A senate estimates hearing has been told air traffic controllers have an organised campaign where they refuse to fill shift vacancies caused by staff calling in sick.

Airservices Australia's Greg Russell says it has caused major air traffic delays around the country.

He has told the hearing a small number of controllers are conducting a covert industrial campaign.

"Our ability to maintain high service levels to the industry is being damaged by the actions of a small number of our air traffic controllers conducting unauthorised industrial action to support their wages claim," he said.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/10/21/2397525.htm?section=justin

My thoughts:

Bit of a strange organisation (and I use the term “organisation” loosely) that can be held to ransom by such an allegedly small number of people.

P/Poor workforce planning since July 2005 perhaps????

I don’t know about wages claim… more like a claim that the rosters are beyond thread-bare.

I can only hope that the Airservices gurus who won a national project management award for the tower simulator can now turn their hands to recruitment and training.

Or is that asking tooo much.