PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Parliamentary Questions concerning Hercules Safety
Old 20th Oct 2008, 20:22
Squidlord

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Safeware wrote:

Nige,
Quote:
He stated that the hazard log was not the place to record the vulnerability to fuel tank explosion from specified threat effects, but did not add where it should have been recorded.
Actually, it is the prime place to record such info - 00-56 iss 4 Pt 1:
Is it possible that the IPTL was either:

1. Observing that such vulnerability information is much too sensitive to go in the Hazard Log without raising its security classification to such a level as to make it difficult to use in the open, collective way that it should be used?

2. Or just reflecting the uncertainty and confusion I mentioned in my last post, i.e. that he thought such vulnerability issues were for some other part of the MoD to deal with?

Of course, even if one or both of these options apply, they don't in any way excuse the MoD collectively from its responsibility to manage vulnerability or wartime safety in general.

Oh, and stepping on my soapbox again, just to be clear, 00-56 is NOT the relevant document here. The Hercules IPT is not mandated to follow 00-56; indeed it would be inappropriate for them to do so (it is a document that mandates safety management practices for contractors to the MoD - this is not well understood either within or without the MoD). The document that does tell IPTs what to do in respect of safety management is POSMS (Project-Oriented Safety Management System), available here:

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/Ab...osmsManual.htm

Having said that, POSMS will say much the same as 00-56 regarding the Hazard Log.