PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Medical evacuation helicopter crashed"
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2008, 18:33
TheVelvetGlove

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here in the USA

A couple of things:

1. Where I fly there are may, many antennas. Some are nearly 2000 AGL. Most of the other antennas are over 900 AGL. Sometimes the lights are OOS on those structures, and sometimes there is not a NOTAM to reflect that. The FSS will not allow a pilot to file a NOTAM on an unlit structure unless he is the owner of that structure (makes sense, right?). So anything that I see out there will not be disseminated to other pilots outside my own company.

2. Many of us do not have terrain/obstacle warning systems installed in our aircraft.

3. Many of us fly unstabilized aircraft, which makes makes looking down at a chart in your lap while 900 AGL at night in 4 miles viz not a very good idea.

4. Goggles have saved my life on one occasion, when I otherwise would have had intimate contact with a 1470 ft antenna with lights OOS in a dark region that I was diverted through. I was at 1400 AGL at the time, under a cloud ceiling that prevented cruising any higher.

5. Those of us who conduct mostly scene flights, are regularly flying in unfamiliar areas- we are not flying regular routes.

My point is that we still don't know all the factors surrounding this accident. We do know that the pilot was in the process of diverting to a different hospital, and that might have been why he hit the wire. Here in the US, 700 AGL is generally not considered to be "too low" to fly at night. My company expects a minimum of 1000 AGL, weather permitting. But we can fly as low as 600 AGL in or local area (25nm radius of the base). While transitioning through towered airspace, we must generally not climb higher than 800 AGL.

This job that we do is not the same job in every region- some are doing mostly hospital transfers, some are flying familiar routes, some are dropping into suburban neighborhoods at night while dealing with a busy Class B surface area(s). Agreements that we have brokered with ATC may require that we transit at lower altitudes in order to avoid heavy terminal traffic. Sometimes we get turned around enroute due to hospital saturation. Single pilot VFR at night in an unstabilized aircraft does not make in-flight flight planning very much fun.

I do know that an autopilot or a second pilot would make my job easier and safer, but I just don't see that happening unless insurance companies are willing to start paying $18,000 USD per patient transport.