PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should the IMCR be ditched in the quest for a greater prize?
Old 20th Oct 2008, 16:36
Johnm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A simple practical point. I just flew my Archer 2 from Kemble to Cambridge and landed at Cambridge off a vectored ILS approach.

Even though the weather was pretty poor (sheeting rain and 20kts of gusty wind at 30 degrees to runway, cloud base below 1000 ft, but above recommended IMCR Minimum) this was accomplished without drama, with modest kit and an IMCR.

I didn't need airways and I wasn't anywhere near Class A so IMCR is all I needed and it works if you keep in practice (real and SIM). I got a RIS and zone transit from Brize, RIS from F'boro North and a routine vectored ILS approach from Cambridge. I wasn't the only little aeroplane in the sky either, though it wasn't exactly crowded.

I would like an IR and I'm signed up for CATS and will focus on the theory during the winter (I hope) but it is unquestionably more onerous on the theory front than it needs to be. I'm sure the flying will tighten up my skills a great deal more too.