PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cross Country
Thread: Cross Country
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2008, 12:49
Rishy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Despite a previous post on here about concerns I wouldn't get my QXC done before the winter I did it a couple of weeks ago and what a totally fantastic experience.

My route was Newcastle -> Solway Firth/land Carlisle -> Durham Tees Valley -> Newcastle. Had never flown Newcastle -> Carlisle solo (and it's months since I did it dual) and never past Carlisle to the coast. I used the fly-though feature on Google Earth to get an idea of what should be where. I have to say the navigation and timings were far better than I expected.

Even managed to have a bacon sandwich and brew at Carlisle. Looked out of the cafe window and caught a glimpse of my PA28 parked up. Great feeling.

My only hitch was the approach into Carlisle onto a runway I'd never landed. Strong winds made things a bit unstable so at about 200' I decided to go around. No realy drama.

Lister - I'm a little disappointed. Sure, many PPL students have a lot to learn but I now feel justified in calling myself a pilot after completing my QXC. It's something I never thought I would achieve so please, give us newbies a bit of love

6 more hours and I can do the skills test. Happy days