PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 661, 662, 663 and 664 VGS - History
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2008, 12:17
The Adjutant

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some years ago when the RAuxAF renumbered their sqns, my squadron asked for it's old Sqn Standard back. This had been presented to us in the early 1950's as a result of our service and record flying in WW2. We were told NO as sqn standards could only be issued to flying sqns and sqns of the RAuxAF Regt. As we were neither we couldn't have the thing reissued. (They avoided the fact that we had already been issued one and were only asking for it back). Now it seems to me that a VGS which is now it seems a VG Sqn and which is at least 25 years old should apply for a standard. After all they ARE flying SQUADRONS (it would seem) and they have served the required 25 years. Is it not true that basic flying schools operating aircraft leased by the RAF are also called "Squadrons" and have custody of a Sqn Standard? What is sauce for the goose etc etc.
Now I am sure that the answer will be a very loud NO but it might be fun for some VG Sqn Cdr to put in the paperwork just to make the civil servents run around for a bit.