PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Automatics versus flying skills - Are some pilots scared to fly by hand?
Old 20th Oct 2008, 09:12
Denti

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dunno about other countries requirements, but over here a mandatory part of each six months check is a manual raw data one engine inoperative go around, radar vectored pattern and precision approach, that has to be done following a normal FD manual flown one engine inoperative ILS down to minimum or below with FD failure at go-around.

My company encourages us to fly raw data, however at the same time we should take into account the general situation, workload, weather situation and other factors so most of us tend to do it at their homebase and smaller airports with less traffic which results usually in less workload. Some of course grow lazy until they realize its only a month til they have to do their SIM training and start doing raw data approaches again, most try to keep on the same level of training at all times which means fairly regular raw data flying throughout the normal flying schedule.