PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should the IMCR be ditched in the quest for a greater prize?
Old 20th Oct 2008, 06:33
englishal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NO way can you sell 15 hrs of instrument training as any form of IR to EASA.
And that is the problem as far as I see it. What everyone in the UK and EASA seem to forget is that you still have a flight test which you have to pass. In fact the perfect IR would be one where you are only required to pass a written exam (it is not rocket science and most is not applicable for the new generation of glass cockpit), cover a minimum flying syllabus with an instructor, then training as required to get you to a sufficient standard to pass the test, and an oral exam (sound familiar?).

One thing that is apparent is that it [the current JAA IR] is no way as achievable as the FAA IR (which is ICAO complient and just as "hard" too).....which unless an IR is as achievable as this, no normal working PPL will bother to do apart from a very few. This is no way to encourage flight safety through training.

From a cost POV, ground exams and "ground school" alone for the JAA IR run into the thousands of pounds, even before you have set foot in an aeroplane. The 170A - the required pre test test if you like, will probably set you back another £500, the test fees another £600 or so, not to mention the rating issue fees and the landing and approach fees, all before you get into an aeroplane. Unless some of this "milking" stops then I really can't see many PPLs taking up the EASA IR.....I certainly won't bother, I'd rather spend the money on an N reg aeroplane and base it in Alderney or somewhere