PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Barwon Heads Airport has a bright new future!
Old 20th Oct 2008, 05:20
Sunfish

Received 90 Likes on 33 Posts
Non issue at present, no traffic apart from Geelong Airport Circuit, Geelong Seaplane, One Jetstar Flight inbound at YMAV, One Rex(?) outbound at YMAV, one student on a practice RNAV approach at YMAV and the very busy Tiger Moths further North. Separation organised and/or confirmed by radio in each and every case.

I like to hear a voice on the other end as Professional as Mr. Jetstar, or at least sounding as concerned about the possibility of a mid-air as I am.

What worries me is the possibility of a member of the "No Radio" brigade or someone who doesn't think they should need to use it near the South Coast / going coastal, or is so situationally unware that they don't even understand that there might be a problem.

It's my guess that about 30% of the skippers I've raced against in yachts have a problem with "situational awareness", and blithely do the stupidest things you ever saw as a result. I just hope the proportion is way lower in aviation.