PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas emergency landing
View Single Post
Old 19th Oct 2008, 19:59
CONF iture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zeke
I put the .... in to indicate a break
How long is your break then ?

May I remind you the crew got at most one minute, and not five to ten (?) … but only a minute after they came back at 370 and before the protection took control for NO good reason whatsoever.
The total duration of the event between the initial NAV IR FAULT ECAM MSG and the first upset which is the one that matters, was at most two minutes.
Dealing with the AP disconnection + requested ECAM actions after an IR fault can easily take one out of these two minutes.

Switching off the ADR still is not a top priority, flying the aircraft is.
Flying the aircraft is exactly what that crew did. Do you have any information to the contrary ?
Of course switching OFF the faulty ADR is NOW a top priority, why do you think Airbus, in that very short period of only one week, decided to modify the checklist in that direction ?
Is it just for fun ?

Anyway, I read your posts and I have the feeling it could not have happened to you ... Good for you !
I won’t argue that you may well be above average.
But it is also possible you don’t realize the nature of the fault described as random spikes which has nothing to see with the typical steady fault encountered during a simulator ride. Even the system itself did not diagnostic the faulty ADR …
Still, you look surprised they did not switch OFF that faulty ADR before the upset.
I am not surprised and I would not have done any better.

To put it in simple words :
A faulty ADR was not supposed to trigger a protection and take away the control from the pilot … but it did !?
Did you know that ?
Airbus didn’t.

I note you did not realise this until I raised it, which makes me think Airbus is right putting it in the OEB for people who not make this connection with the UNRELIABLE SPEED INDIC/ADR CHECK PROC QRH procedure.
I’m not really sure where you got that … Do you think training is exclusive to CX ?
Beside that, Airbus don’t publish a Telex or the coming OEB to simply emphasize a known procedure, but to MODIFY it !

Last edited by CONF iture; 19th Oct 2008 at 23:06.