PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New In W. Africa (Nigeria)
View Single Post
Old 19th Oct 2008, 13:54
cyclicoyibo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S92 Sar

JFR,

the second SAR if it happens will no doubt be a Bristow S92. It would make little sense to split an operation of this sort between two operators and have two different types of aircraft. As I said, the second machine is dependant upon another one or two of the major companies coming on board. Tha first machine is a done deal.

Froggy,

Thanks for the reminder of the difference between night stand by and SAR. Read my lips FULLY DEDICATED SAR EQUIPPED TO EUROPEAN STANDARDS (check out Norsk).

Mama,

Thanks for the input, you are quite right that there will be no need to land for most sorties. The SAR S92 with auxiliary fuel tank fitted has a mission radius of around 330nm plus reserves. Also, one would hope that as it will be a joint venture that fuel will be made available on any suitable deck, should it be needed, regardless of company.

Trog,

Quite right mate. In the past there have been far too many night calls for aircraft for trivial reasons. I do see that since the tradgedy of BDZ there has been a change in the attitude of the oil companies and they would reject any call from offshore that was not of a serious nature. Not always going to be the case of course but we can only hope!

I read a lot on these pages about the difficulties of operating here in Nigeria but things have improved noticeably in the time that I have been here. ATC is markedly better in Lagos at least and even in PH efforts are being made to make life safer, if not easier. There are many more modern machines here than ever was the case in the past. Just a few old wrecks to get rid of and we'll be there. Both of the major companies set high standards in both engineering and operations. There is, of course, the odd one that slips through the net, but that's the same the whole world over. So, keep up the good work guys, fly safely, and start to believe that you can make a difference.

Cyclic.