PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: New rules for non-controlled aerodromes
Old 19th Oct 2008, 00:37
Al Timita

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chill guys, I think most of you are missing the point of the change.

Unlike a CTAFR aerodrome, there is no legal requirement for a radio equipped aircraft to make any radio calls at a CTAF aerodrome, unless that aircraft is conducting a straight in approach.

From my reading, it would appear that the new rules are simply extending the same legal requirement for mandatory calls (that currently exist at CTAFR aerodromes) into CTAF aerodromes and, in the process, standardising the procedures between the two. Obviously, all other calls are the choice of the pilot based on circumstances as they see them.

I think this is very good move that, hopefully, will eliminate those jokers that fail to make any calls at CTAF aerodromes in order to avoid aerodrome charges. It should also, hopefully, reduce the number of pilots making superflous calls that gadude is referring to. Many pilots are only making these calls because they believe it is a requirement due to the inconsistent requirements between documents as CASA has alluded to.