PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Coroner attacks minefield rescue
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2008, 21:33
sycamore

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
Not often I agree with CirrusF, however,when the Devil drives, it is necessary to think `out of the box`,and maybe re-invent another wheel...again.Why,?,because those that Prosecute the War ,don`t ,or won`t learn from history....just a few thoughts then;
Have there ever been any trials to determine the downwash effects,by all types of helos, on triggering mines(obviously not real ones-using smoke when triggered) ?Probably not would be my guess.Why--ain`t gonna happen!!
Are all helos in AGN/Irq fitted with ESF NOW?(Refer to Herc thread) dunno,but guess not...Refer to John Reid saying in Commons something like` we are only going to AGN in a policing role, not involved in combat` or words to that effect...Refer to history of `Policing there` since 1920s !!Ask Russians for advice..
Do crewmen on helos have`hands-free` comms with the helo,when not on board, like SAR....if not...Why not?(ie. not using a long-lead).
Many long years ago,another war,different conditions,jungle ,admittedly,we developed a system of lifting troops out when it was not possible to winch,60ft of cable, from 200ft, using strops or hooks on a length/several abseil tapes
and then lifting to a secure site/larger clearing.It worked,however, HQ FEAF didn`t approve,REMFs again,banned it,but we carried on..as one has to..
These days,climbing gear has improved,ropes are lighter,stronger,carabiners and abseil gear are simpler to use(bosun`s rig on boats-Cirrusf ?)
A winch-equipped helo is ideal,but smaller helos,less d/wash, could do the job
...however...careers are at stake for the man who is brave enough to do ,or authorise it...
Another thought,the Wessex could deploy smoke flares/grenades, for landing in `hot`LZs....can any of our present operational helos do the same..? or has that been passed over as `old fashioned`?
Communications with Army units has always,always been a problem,with units on the ground,and obviously `unit-unit` is no better...Why,in this day ,with all the f$%^&*G technology ,is it so difficult ? Are there not solar powered batteries,chargers/wind generators that can be used ??
During GW1,I was impressed by a Canforce Major,who carried a small case,about the size of a laptop,who could communicate directly with Ottawa,West Canada,or a unit in SArabia,ie pilots; obviously a `sat-phone`,encrypted,or plain ; Why not now, ? almost every unit/patrol should have one ....or is that tooo naieve?
We also used to communicate,air-to-air with neighouring helos,using `Stanley Unwin-ese,with a touch of JohnLennon`s`A Spaniard in the Works`s`,totally confusing to anyone listening...
I may be wrong,but it seems that,whilst there is `high technology` and sophisticated systems running an HQ/TOC/ATOC/FATOC/Ops,that the rest rely on `a man with a stick`,and that,IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH...in this day and age !!!!!
By the way,is the Admiral an ex-junglie,or a `pinger`,or what ?
Another thought,or two,best CAS,a latter-day A-1HSpad,A10s,or Su-25s....

Anything I`ve said etc,should not diminish any lack of admiration for our troops,either on the ground,or in the air,either UK or Foreign,with the difficulties that they have,with equipment,etc,etc...I`m just looking at it from miles away,and under the affluence of incohol....Cheers,lads,and never ,ever give up....Syc...I`m not as good as I once was, but I`m good once,as ever I was.....!!(Sorry lads, that`s really meant for the ladies-at Grab -a- Granny nights)...