PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Coroner attacks minefield rescue
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2008, 19:49
Sir George Cayley

In other times, Admirals put in invidious positions by their political masters would have stepped down rather than be seen in a poor light by the country.

The fact that Tony Jonhnson-Burt sought to justify the unjustifiable is my main gripe. I'm no fan of R4, the Beeb or shrill legal evangelists, but nor am I a fan of senior officers who tow a clearly unenable line. Unless you wish to take issue with the Coroner.

I accept that civilians straying onto a MIL forum should expect incoming, but my lasting impression of the interview was that he didn't value the lives of the troops at the front.

One final point, he said "they had the right kit" yet a simple piece of paper on which the mine field was marked was not made available to the very people it could have saved, making the rescue unnecessary.

I've always accepted the notion of "Grand Military **** Ups" and if TJ-B had said this was a prize example and he'd ordered a dozen AS365Ns for deployment in theatre I'd now be singing his praises.

If there is another side to the story that can't be aired in public PM as I am bound by the Act.

Sir George Cayley