PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IMC rating recommended minima?
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2008, 18:15
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally abandon the reason way through normal channels and go to court to force it through.
In some respects not an unreasonable proposition BUT who is going to pay?

Not wishing to get me back on an old hobby horse, but in spite of the much improved efforts of AOPA, unless they can increase their membership significantly, they neither have the financial resources nor the ground swell of support to make a difference in an arena where as IO says, there are so many vested interested. In America AOPA count amoung their membership over 50% of the pilot population, here it is less than 5%. AOPA dont seem to have a good record of working with the other players, and even if they did, it is difficult to find another player who for various reasons wants a more accessable IR. Then there is Europe. AOPA have a few organisations scattered around Europe but for example, in France, a significant cradle of GA, they are far less representative than AOPA UK. This means within the world of EASA there is no cohesive force behind GA that can even come close to claiming it represents the wishes of the majority of GA pilots. We have ourselves of course to blame.

This was one of the reason I started the campaign to preserve the IMC rating with a few others. With a huge committment of time and lot of generousity of others it was refreshing the huge support we gained - some 4,000 pilots in a pretty short period of time. The GA community is prepared to fight their corner. I have good reason to believe there are many in Europe prepared to fight the same corner. However, sadly, I am not convinced we have anyone or body prepared or able to take on the other vested interests - who will in consequence ride rough shod over us all. It is a shame.

IO

As I commented I accept the needs for confidentiality at times, and I do understand why that shoud be so. My point stands, if it is confidential then it is best to say nothing. Just my opinion you understand.

Edited to add.

Think about this thread. There are three of us debating this. No one else chips in with a view, other than Shunter , who tells us he uses his IMC in earnest. Thank you Shunter for contributing. I wonder why? What it does demonstrate is that it takes effort to get people to understand the changes that are taking place - I think there are a lot who care, but as Bose (I think) memorably said, wake up, cse it is already nearly too late.