PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IMC rating recommended minima?
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2008, 17:19
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to stick my kneck out here and say that I feel trying to defend the IMCR my be counterproductive.
Really what everyone appears to want is an achievable PPL IR Simular to the FAA variety.

Both the IMCR and the impractability of getting an IR for Joe Blogs in the street could be challenged in the European courts on the grounds of being denied safety in an unreasonable way.

There was a major study carried out on the comparisons between FAA and JAA licening.
The result was that there was NO difference in safety between JAA trained pilot right up to ATP and the FAA trained pilots.

Trying to defend the IMCR might get a result on grounds of safety as there is plenty of evidence showing the french high accident statistics with pure VFR only compared to the UK IMCR protected pilots.

But following safety lines might mean you end up getting an IMCR to be used only for inadvertant entry into IMC and with the declaration of a mayday.
Not what I think we want to achieve.

Better to go for an FAA type PPL IR with a direct challenge on the grounds of safety to the European Courts claiming the present system is not achievable in a practical way for working people and endahgering their lives by not having it.
As stated there are plenty of studies showing that FAA and JAA achieve the same standards albeit by different routes and in safety too.

It might be cleverer to abandon the IMCR and concentrate on an FAA like PPL IR. dont shoot yourselves in the foot.
Finally abandon the reason way through normal channels and go to court to force it through.

Pace