PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod sim info request!
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2008, 16:54
davejb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Been a while now, but -
FMS, full motion sim for the flight deck, dunno about visuals but the 'video camera tracking above model of St Mawgan with dead fly on runway' probably went the way of all thin gs some time back.... MCT for the back end, no motion, fed by computer consoles manned by MCT staff providing sensor data and comms inputs. All recorded by CTS for replay of course.

Although possible to link the FMS and MCT (as I recall) it was more common for the front end to be manned in the MCT cut down version where you just twiddled the odd knob to change height, speed and direction...ie no stick twanging and calling each other Goose.

The biggest advantage to the MCT over the FMS would be, I would suggest, either the pilot's ability to handle the MCT in their sleep (I once 'piloted' a sim ride, the reason escapes me now but the powers that be decided I was up to the onerous task) or the ease of getting in and out of the sim - so whoever was making the teas and coffees could get in and out easily. (My money is on the second reason).

Did a few days at Earl's Court or somewhere like that on the recruiting model, 3 days or so at a Scout/Guide jamboree - something like 10,000 teenagers (scouting had moved on from my day - they had a beer tent and MTV piped in). My fellow 'crew' and I were most upset to discover that the Swedish ladies netball team wasn't a real Scouting outfit as OCA had promised. I still remember going doolally as some damned video kicked in every 10 minutes to describe the supposed job 'every day....'

I think Rog Kutassy was in it....I did recognise a few faces but it was a long time ago (cue Star Wars music)....in a galaxy far far away....

I enjoyed it frankly - on rates in a hotel, on the mock up about an hour a day 'cos nobody was interested in it, and nobody woke me up to tell me to go flying unexpectedly.

Dave