PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CargoLion lost battle......
View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2001, 13:28
Burger Thing

Exclamation

Oh Loc...

Maybe I was a bit emotional when I read your statement, because I came back from a nightfliht, so I was a bit tired, but nevertheless I read all the other statements (also the one on page 1) so no need to advise me to read this again.

In my process of being under cure, I will try to widen your aviation-horizon a bit, if I can, in order to remove your Loc-out flag, to put you back on the centerline.

"...Just remember, you guys who were operating on validations, you have been taking a seat off a person who has got off his backside and got the JAA licence..."

-> This probably true, but think, why it is like that. It is not, because there is an evil company (Cargolion) which employes pilots with non-JAA licenses, just to make JAA-license holders angry and taking the jobs away...

They employ those pilots, because they want the most proficient and experienced pilots for their operation - DC-8/-10 type-rated, Cargo experienced (with all the problems and procedures involved, like dangerous goods, etc.) It makes for a rather small company a big difference, if they can hire pilots, and put them without a long (and so expensive)training into their operation.

I know what I am talking about, because I am flying in a very small company as well and every single penny counts and also where you have to be flexible, to meet the demands of the market.

Try to find (probably under time-pressure) a JAA-license holder, with DC-8 and DC-10 cargo experience, which is willing to to fly for a cargo-operator and also maybe willing to give up another position (new aircraft, Pax-flights, daytime shifts). I rather doubt, that you will find that many.

"...Try attempting that in North America and see how far you get..." What I know with my little experience, the FAA regulations concerning a convertion from JAA to FAA is more or less a reaction of the FAA from the attitude of European Aviation Authorities, regardng convertions from FAA to JAA. In the past it was not so difficult to make a conversion from a non-FAA to an FA ticket. Maybe you had to go through a little written test or making a checkride. But nevertheless it was much easier than the other way around, right ?

Granted, that it is almost impossible to get a working permission in the states, but also in Europe it is not that easy. I know a lot of pilots, who are high experienced, but they can't get a job in Europe, because they don't have a working permission, and a conversion is only possible with a lot of hassles - even if those guys having a license which is basically based on the UK system...

And as a personal advice to you: I would be a bit more sensible, putting statements like yours on the web, with having probably a very limited inside view of what was going on at cargolion, especially after what happended with the staff there