PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Apache
Thread: Apache
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2008, 07:11
Front Seater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rak,

Couldn't agree more and although I am a funding/EP realist I do wonder what price does a dedicated life saving rescue capability cost - both financially, grand strategically and politically.

How much more Sky News, BBC and CNN coverage do the politicians need before they realise that peoples lives are being lost. There are only so many times that the Politicians and 3* (who have formally taken this 'on risk') can direct the 2* 'fall guy' to be 'the face' for their risk taking.

Jugroom Fort, Kajaki Dam and quite a few of other incidents not reported regulaly provide the evidence that a dedicated CSAR (-) capability is required. Sadly, in my personal opinion it is going to take a Mogadishu equivalent (i.e. bodies being dragged through streets) for the public and treasury to finally put their hands in their pocket (or take a bow and pull out of the conflict admitting 'tactical success but strategic defeat).

Best solution from this end of the telescope:

1. Secure funding as soon as possible.
2. Co-ordinate with the replacement of another capability (Puma/Sea King).
3. Dedicate a UK rotary wing force to the CSAR (-)/IRT/MRT role.

What I am not too sure about is Merlin in this role - is it really suited, what is its downwash like, is it better suited to providing the much needed pure SH lift. The knackered old Sea King cannot lift much, but appears to be a very stable platform and has the corporate knowledge left over from Bosnia.

So, for the here and now until the Parliament and the British people eventually realise what the exact scale of the 'risk' that is being underwritten at the top should the recently expanded Merlin fleet be dedicated (and therefore specially trained) in this role, or is the Sea King more capable and therefore should they be made the national CSAR/IRT/MRT asset.

Or do we actually stop faffing with the 'concepts' - accelerate the civilianisation of the SAR force, paint all of the yellow Sea Kings green/brown and start the training of the SAR Force in the CSAR (-) role.

I am not fussed who does it - but how much longer can we 'double earmark' and multi task assets in this very important (life saving role)?

There are lots of options (and yes they are not 'cost neutral') but the worst Course Of Action to is to do nothing and hope that the per centage chance of the risk happening again will not occur.