Thread: Ayla Aaa Jordan
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2008, 05:36
mafemukh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clarification

Hi Aero/EHBH,

Ayla is GF approved.
I did most of the work - the gap analysis between the CARC (Jordan) CPL/IR and the ANTR (Bahrain) ATP(A), and the production of the manuals - operations and training. The syllabus at Ayla was accepted by GF as being equivalent to the ANTR's (Bahrain CAA's regulations) such that GF could propose, as they did, that a Jordanian CPL/IR with ATPL knowledge obtained at Ayla could be converted into a Bahraini CPL/IR with ATPL knowledge (the so-called Frozen ATPL).

You are half right about ICAO licenses EHBH: article 33 of the International Convention on Civil Aviation (the Chicago Convention) requires that all Contracting States should recognise each other's licenses, certificates and ratings. However, article 1 allows each Contracting State to be sovereign in its own airspace. Article 1 is deemed supreme such that, and in practice, each State need only recognise each other's licenses as equivalent to a PPL. Therefore, if a Bahraini national asks the Bahrain CAA to convert a Jordanian CPL/IR to a Bahraini licence, the Bahrain CAA are perfectly within their rights to issue only a PPL, and that after taking some local requirements, usually air law/human factors exams.

In Ayla's case, as I mention above, the academy needed GF to approach BCAA for approval that Ayla's product met the ANTR's. This was accepted and approved in July - I was in Bahrain, with GF's training department, at the time.

In conclusion, Ayla is (or at least was, I have been away for 1 month) BCAA approved for the issuance of the BCAA "Frozen" ATPL. Ayla is (or at least was) an approved GF training provider.

I hope this clarifies the situation.