PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Apache
Thread: Apache
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2008, 03:14
Front Seater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys,

Please be very careful with your use of the English language and military abbreviations - in the world of us brown jobs the OC is Officer Commanding for a Sqn and the CO is Commanding Officer of the Regiment. 2 different positions and for the purpose of this book and this thread 2 different people.

I know that Rak you attempt to delineate, but it is quite important as the OC of the Sqn was/is a top bloke, and rarely for us Teenie Weenies one of the most experienced AH drivers and leaders that we have. The CO on the other hand was undoubtedly playing the political game (with a certain amount of London/JHC/DAAvn career watching).

However, without defending the CO too much he said what he felt at the time - now we all know that those dudes that did the whole Jugroom Fort mission were incredibly brave - incredibly brave - and I really hope that come the day of the race that my inner mechanisms work that way.

But - and here is the point - sometimes those dislocated from the action seen the full potential of what could have happened at Jugroom Fort if fate (and lets be honest there was a lot of 'luck' in theat mission (both good and bad). I think we all know that those very brave actions could have been a strategic/political disaster (as per Mogadishu with the Blackhawk crew body being dragged through the streets).

All I am saying is be careful about terminology as some people would be deeply upset in being 'confused' of the position and role they played and secondly maybe, just maybe, step back from the coal face and try and get a glimpse of what other people may be thinking and ultimately responsible for.

From my very personal perspective - and as identified by many previous posters, the only people to 'blame' in any of this is the Politicians, Treasury and the 'top brass'. As per the news yesterday (with lessons being re-learnt from the old Sea King IRT at Sipovo/Balkans) to save a life there needs to be a dedicated capability that can actually do the IRT/MRT whatever you want to call it job. That means doing the job in all conditions with the correct training and levels of experience.

I think just post Jugroom Fort QHI 656 posted that there should be an HH-60 CSAR/Immediate Combat Recovery/JPR capability, but even I know that it will take a few more Coroners and Media Headlines to shame the HM Govt into procuring such a bespoke capability - although I must be honest that as someone that always knew that that Sea King boys would always make it through in Bosnia, it is good seeing them out here with their winch heaven forbid should I/we require them.

Last edited by Front Seater; 18th Oct 2008 at 06:50.