PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ME/CPL/IR/MCC Preparation
View Single Post
Old 17th Oct 2008, 20:38
potkettleblack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't waste money on so many books. Your flight school should provide all the info you need.
Agreed. Find a decent school and make an appointment to sit down with one of their instructors for a few hours. Choose a nice wet day when they aren't flying. Go through the entire syllabus of the ME/CPL and IR and ask them how they teach the various bits and what they want to see. Things like position fixing, how they want you to do a plog (each school has their own way), drift calcs etc. Get a copy of their SOP's and the POH for the aircraft you are going to be flying. Also grab a copy of the aircraft checklists and read through those.

For the IR you can get copies of all of the approach plates if your doing it in the UK from the AIP. Its on the internet. The plates will be in a slightly different format depending on whether the school uses Aerad or Jepps but reviewing them will still get you ahead of the game. When you get really bored have a read through the relevant bits of the UK AIP as well. The approach ban is essential reading plus the required minima for single pilot ops as mentioned by another poster.

Do a search on hour building. Lots of posts on how to turn it into quality time and not just burning holes in the sky.

If you find your potential school won't give you the time of day then consider whether you should be taking your business elsewhere.