PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IMC rating recommended minima?
View Single Post
Old 17th Oct 2008, 16:07
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pace

UKIMC.ORG News

and follow the news link and the slides.

The statement was made by the Head of Personal Licensing and Safety Regulation albiet the specific reference was to CFIT involving an IMC rated pilot. There are no known cases of loss of control in IMC leading to fatality amoung IMCr pilots within 25 months check - unless you know better than the CAA.

Not withstanding, the safety record is exceptional, given that in the UK the number of pilots with a SEP IMC far exceeds the number of pilots with a SEP IR involved solely in GA.

Moreover, I would be interested if you have any evidence that there are more accidents involving IMC rated pilots flying an approach than instrument rated pilots?

I am not saying you are wrong, and am very sorry to learn of your friend, but I have severe reservations when accusations are put forward that IMC rated pilots are unsafe unless there can be shown to be reliance on specific evidence and a proper analytical comparison between IMC holders and IR holders. You can probably tell I am on one of my hobby horses, the foundations of which are based on a real feeling that the abolition of the IMC rating will result in more, not less, fatalities. To suggest there are "scores more" is either displays an element of hysteria on your part not charactereistic of your usually well informed psots or the CAA have their statistics horribly wrong min which case I owe you an apology. Notwithstanding, I have prepared my own anaylsis of every AAIB report involving a fatal accident where there was a suggestion of IMC being involved and not come to the conclusion you do.