PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IMC rating recommended minima?
View Single Post
Old 17th Oct 2008, 11:28
Fright Level

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
more than enough experience of knowing where to look in the legislation. I appreciate that you just missed the appropriate reference.

Yes, because we're spoiled at work by having the legislation transferred into our operations manuals so we don't need to fly to CAA rules, but company rules as these are generally more restrictive. As vis and cloudbase is split between the ANO and AIP, that's why I was struggling to find the info I needed!

both SEP and heavy jets several times a month. I take it that was said a bit tongue in cheek.

Nope, just checked my logbook, 9 flights in a SEP and 8 sectors in a 747 in the last 30 days.

I wonder how you or they will establish their operational limits?

Great discussion point now we established the bottom lines. In reality other aspects of the weather will deter the typical PPL/IMCR pilot flying rather than vis or cloud being right on limits inc embedded TCU or CB's, icing, engine failure terrain options etc etc. I'm not in a position to establish their limits, only pass on experience.

When I used to fly around with a new PPL/IMCR I don't think I'd ever had the benefit of flying with someone that actually had operational experience in real or limiting IMC conditions which is probably why these people have asked me to sit with them. At least I have my facts re actual limits now, thanks!

brave

You've taken the wrong context for my use of this term. I mean brave as in operating the wrong side of the AIP recommendation and not brave meaning he was inexperienced, sweating and white knuckled being at 500' on an ILS. Personally I think hand flying an ILS to 200' is great practise, it's below 500' where all the work starts (hence the need for IR levels of skill?).