PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IMC rating recommended minima?
View Single Post
Old 17th Oct 2008, 11:12
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I never mentioned or implied my own experience.
I didnt mean your flying experience, more that you seem to have more than enough experience of knowing where to look in the legislation. I appreciate that you just missed the appropriate reference.

both SEP and heavy jets several times a month
I take it that was said a bit tongue in cheek.

I know my limits, I just wanted to (definitively) know theirs.
I think we have discussed their legal limits. I wonder how you or they will establish their operational limits?

Although the AIP says these are recommended figures, only a brave pilot would fly to limits below those recommended for his IMC rating.
I am still struggling with your observation. The recommended limits for an IMC holder I think it would have to be said are very conservative. If applied the DH is very similiar on an ILS to an NDB / DME IAP. If your friends are current and have flown a number of approaches with you down to minima, and you are satisfied with their performance, I still find it surprising that you would consider it brave for them to subsequently fly an approach to below the recommended minima for an IMC holder in the ANO. I initially did all my instrument flying on an IMC. I was flying around 200 hours a year and was compfortable using the rating to IR minima from straight out of the course. In hind sight I probably should not have been until I had another six months or so under my belt - because whilst my flying was OK I didnt have the experience to cope with every situation be it weather or aircraft related or the training on which to have fallen back - mind you I still dont have enough experience